Charter with Proposed Revisions.
ROBSON RANCH DENTON PICKLEBALL CLUB
CHARTER & BYLAWS
as amended and approved (Date TBD)
ARTICLE I Name
The name of the organization shall be “Robson Ranch Denton Pickleball Club,” hereinafter referred to as “the Club,” a registered not-for-profit 501(c)(7) organization.
ARTICLE II Mission
The mission of the Club shall be the promotion of pickleball, related social activities, fun and fitness for all its members.
ARTICLE III Authority and Limitations
The Club will operate as an independent entity utilizing certain common areas and facilities operated by the Robson Ranch Denton Homeowners Association (HOA). The Club, its members, guests and invitees, shall abide by all pertinent rules and regulations established by the HOA. The Club will be guided by the rules of the United States of America Pickleball Association (USAPA), as amended from time to time. See: http://www.usapa.org/
ARTICLE IV Members
Section 1: Membership shall be open to any person residing at Robson Ranch.
Section 2: No eligible person shall be denied membership to the Club because of gender, race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Section 3: Pickleball Club enrollment may be conducted at any time outside of a regular meeting, by enrolling with the Club Treasurer.
Section 4: Dues for Club membership will be set by the Club’s Board and approved by the Club’s membership. New members joining the Club in December will have their dues valid for the following year, as well. All other new members will pay dues though the current year.
Section 5: Fees may be charged for the Club activities, in addition to the regular membership dues. Monies will be handled by the Club’s Treasurer.
Section 6: Any member of the Club, in good standing, shall be entitled to vote at any regular or special meeting of the Club and to participate in all Club events upon compliance with adopted regulations and bylaws. Only members in good standing are eligible to receive Club emails and communications. Members and their properly registered overnight guests may use Club equipment, play during Club reserved times in the gym and outdoors, and where specifically provided, participate in Club sponsored tournaments, clinics and social events. Guest policies will be set by the Board.
Section 7: At general meetings of the Club, decisions will be made by a majority vote of those members present voting by electronic means in a method determined by the board.
Section 8: A good standing member is a member who is enrolled in the Club and whose dues are current; observes HOA and Club rules; and exhibits courtesy, honesty and respect for others during Club events and activities. The Board may suspend or revoke the membership of any member who, in their opinion, fails to observe the above standards of conduct by returning the dues paid for that year.
ARTICLE V Board of Officers
Section 1: The Board of Officers or “Board” shall be the chief administrative body of the Club and shall consist of seven (7) positions as follows:
- Four (4) elected officers (President, Vice-President, Treasurer and Secretary.
- Three (3) elected members “at large.”
Section 2: All Board officers must be a Robson Ranch Denton Resident and Club member for a minimum of ninety (90) days.
Section 3: The tenure for the President, Vice-President, Treasurer and Secretary will be for a period of one (1) year, and may be elected for not more than two (2) consecutive terms.
Section 4: The tenure for two (2) of the members “at large” will be for two (2) years and may be elected for not more than two (2) consecutive terms. The terms of these “at large” members will be staggered so only one position will be up for election each year. The third “at large” member will serve a one (1) year term and may be elected for not more than two (2) consecutive terms.
Section 5: Officers of the Board may be relieved of office by a majority of the Board for behavior contrary to the proper discharge of the obligations and responsibilities of the office.
Section 6: A vacancy of an elected official may be filled by appointment of the President and shall require the approval of the majority of the Board. As necessary, the Vice-President will automatically fill the vacancy of the President and shall appoint successor(s) for the balance of the tenure, to be approved by the majority of the Board.
ARTICLE VI Nomination and Elections
Section 1: The Election of Board members shall take place at the annual meeting. No less than thirty (30) days prior to the annual meeting, the Board shall appoint a Nominating Committee Chairperson. The Chairperson shall select additional Committee members from the membership.
Section 2: The slate of Board candidates proposed by the Nominating Committee shall be distributed to all club members not later than two (2) weeks prior to the Club’s regular membership meeting at which the Board will be elected.
Section 3: A majority of the Club members shall elect the new Board. Such election may be by electronic ballot or by voice vote if the position is uncontested.
Section 4: No Board member may serve on the Nominating Committee.
Section 5: The newly elected Board shall take office on March 31st.
ARTICLE VII Administrative Body
Section 1: The Administrative body of the Club is the Board.
Section 2: It shall be the duty of the Board to conduct, manage, and control the affairs and business of the Club between meetings of the regular membership.
Section 3: A majority of the Board shall constitute a quorum for a Board meeting.
ARTICLE VIII Duties Of Officers
Section 1: The PRESIDENT shall:
- appoint, with Board approval, the Chairpersons of committees; Chairpersons will have discretion to select, appoint and replace members of their committee;
- schedule facilities usage with the Activities Director;
- negotiate and sign for the Club’s Board approved contracts, such as equipment and instruction;
- be the chief administrator of the Club;
- preside over all the Club’s regular and Board meetings; and
- be or appoint another board member to be, an ex-officio member of all committees, except the Nominating Committee. Ex-officio members will not be able to cast votes on committee issues, but will act in an advisory role only.
Section 2: The VICE-PRESIDENT shall:
- assist the President; and
- inthe President’s absence, perform the duties of the President’s office.
Section 3: The SECRETARY shall:
- record the minutes of meetings of the Board and the membership meetings, which will then be posted on the club’s webpage;
- be in charge of all of the Club’s records, other than the Treasurer’s, and prepare any reports required by the Association;
- at a regular meeting, present the previous regular meeting minutes. The regular meeting’s minutes must be approved by the Board; and
- post required notices.
Section 4: The TREASURER shall:
- be the chief financial officer and shall be responsible for collecting the dues of the members and other monies, as required;
- pay Board approved bills owed by the Club;
- present a financial report at each Board and Club membership meeting;
- retain the Treasurer’s records and maintain appropriate accounting controls; and
- ensure that all required financial and tax reports and/or forms are timely filed with the appropriate government agencies to maintain the club’s tax-exempt status.
Section 5: The MEMBERS AT LARGE shall:
- undertake and perform other duties as assigned by the Board.
ARTICLE IX Fiscal and Finance
Section 1: The fiscal year shall be April 1 through March 31.
Section 2: No Club director shall receive compensation for serving as a director.
Section 3: The Treasurer’s books will be reviewed in detail not less than annually by the Board. A full review shall be completed no later than thirty (30) days following the end of the fiscal year. A review is also required when there is an incoming new Treasurer. These reviews shall be reported to the membership via the minutes of the Board’s meetings which are posted on the club's webpage.
Section 4: The Treasurer, and at least two other members of the Board, are authorized to sign checks to expend the Club’s monies for Board approved expenses. Expenses in excess of $1,000.00 (One Thousand Dollars) will require the signatures of two (2) authorized check signers.
Section 5: Budget:
- the Board prepared budget shall be presented for approval of the membership at the annual meeting.
- the approved budget may be revised, as necessary, during the year, by a majority of the Board.
- no single, un-budgeted expenditure in excess of $3,000 (Three Thousand Dollars) shall be made without approval at a meeting of the Club membership, by electronic ballot.
ARTICLE X Meetings
Section 1: Membership meetings shall be held as called by the President, a minimum of one per fiscal year.
Section 2: The date and location of the next Board meeting shall be announced via email or posted on the Club Webpage or newsletter at least one week prior to the Club meeting.
Section 3: The annual meeting will be held in March of each year. Annual meetings will follow the rules of a regular meeting.
Section 4: Board meetings will be open to any member in good standing. A comment session will be made available to members attending. The timing and length of such comment session will be determined by the Board based on the business at hand and the number of members wishing to comment. Business of a confidential nature, as determined by the Board, may be discussed in closed session.
ARTICLE XI Parliamentary Authority
Robert's Rules of Order shall be the authority of all questions of parliamentary law unless in conflict with the Charter or bylaws, with the bylaws of the HOA, or with the laws of the State of Texas.
ARTICLE XII Amendments
Section 1: This Charter and bylaws may be amended, by a two-thirds (2/3) vote of the Members voting by electronic ballot. The Board shall provide written notice of each proposed amendment, or proposed addition, which must be posted publicly two (2) weeks prior the Club’s vote.
Section 2: All proposed amendments to this Charter or bylaws are subject to final approval by the HOA.
ARTICLE XIII Dissolution
In the event of dissolution, Club assets, if any, shall be donated according to vote by the membership to one or more charitable entities that are registered as a Section 501(c) (3) organization with the Internal Revenue Service.
Adopted by the Robson Ranch Denton Pickleball Club Membership electronic ballot on (date TBD)
Robson Ranch Denton Pickleball Club President:
Robson Ranch Denton Pickleball Club Secretary: